The Society of St Vincent de Paul has been engaging with young people and education since its earliest days.
This Society helps people who are facing problems such as:
- Poverty: not enough money to pay for basic necessities.
- Hunger: some families have only one meal per day if they are lucky.
- Unemployment: sometimes parents have to go out every day and search for work.
- No home or poor quality housing: some families of 8 or more live in one room.
- No education: some families cannot pay for schooling or children cannot go to school because they need to work to help their parents feed the family.
February 2016 – Our charity work during Lent also links to the ‘Year of Mercy’ where we are turning our concern into action and thinking of ways to feed the hungry. This is one of the Corporal Works of Mercy. We are hoping to collect food for the Billingham Food Bank.Please click on the link below for further information.
Mini Vinnies Food Bank Friday
To find out more visit www.minivinnies.org.uk
Last year, we set up our Mini-Vinnies group. We now have our own jobs in the group and we love having this special responsibility! We intend to live by our moto of ‘Turning Concern into Action’
We are launching our first fund raising event, by collecting donations for the Romanian Shoe Box Appeal. We would welcome donations of:
- Medium sized shoe boxes.
- Gifts such as soft toys, trucks, small dolls, skipping ropes, puzzles or wrapped sweets.
- Stationary such as pens, pencils, notebooks or solar calculators.
- Toiletries such as soap, face cloths, combs or toothbrushes.
- Clothing such as hats, scarves or jewelry.
For more information please visit https://www.samaritans-purse.org.uk/what-we-do/operation-christmas-child/how-to-pack-a-shoebox/